Split pea soup
Split pea soup
Hearty split pea soup, perfect for the chilly winter days!
Vegan, nut free, soy free | Serves 2 | MAIN
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon of each dried oregano and garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon of Dhow Nature Foods turmeric (10% discount code: DHOWLIKENATALI)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Dhow Nature Foods ginger (10% discount code: DHOWLIKENATALI)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 200g dry split peas
- 1/2 teaspoon white miso paste
- 100g long grain rice
- 2 handfuls of cavolo nero, chopped
- Handful of dill, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
1.In a medium pot on a medium heat, sauté the onion and leek with the olive oil and a pinch of salt, until translucent. If needed, add splashes of water to deglaze the pot.
2.Add the garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes. Be careful not to burn it!
3.Add all the dry spices and sauté for a minute, to release their aromatics. If needed, add splashes of water to deglaze the pot.
4.Add the split peas, along with 500ml of boiling water and the miso paste.
5.Stir to dissolve the miso. Bring to boil, lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6.Add the rice, along with 500ml of boiling water and simmer for 15 minutes.
7.Remove the bay leaf, taste to adjust the seasoning and add the cavolo nero.
8.Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
9.Finish with the fresh dill and lemon juice.
10.Serve with rusks or bread and enjoy hot.
Happy cooking everyone!