Mac and cheese
Mac and cheese
Delicious mac and cheese with a healthy twist, that nobody can figure out!
Vegan, nut free, soy free | Serves 2 | MAIN
- 200g sweet potato
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 300ml plant based milk
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of each oregano and smoked paprika
- 160g spirali pasta
- 50g plant based cheese (I used Violife's epic mature), grated
- 75g plant based bacon, optional (I used Vivera's veggie bacon pieces)
- Fresh parsley, thinly sliced
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
1.Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with some parchment paper.
2.Add the sweet potato (with the skin) on the baking tray and bake for 40 minutes or until soft.
3.Once cooked, remove from the oven and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
4.Cook the pasta in salted water, according to the package instructions.
5.The above steps can be done up to 2 days in advance (keep the sweet potato in the fridge).
6.Cut the sweet potato in the middle and remove all the flesh.
7.Add in the blender with the garlic, milk, nutritional yeast, mustard and spices.
8.Blend until smooth and add in a pot on a low-medium heat with the drained and cooked pasta and cheese.
9.Stir for 3-4 minutes until the cheese has melted.
9.If you are using bacon, fry it now and add it to the pasta.
10.Add the parsley and spring onion.
11.Taste to adjust the seasoning to your preference. Serve hot.
Happy cooking everyone!